EJP Education Justice Project Travel Scholarship -If you are going to a conference that aligns itself to the Education Justice Project, then this conference reimbursement scholarship might be for you.
Education Justice Project-EJP Travel Scholarship for conferences between July 2 and December 31, 2021
Deadline: November 15, 2021
Twice a year, the Education Justice Project will distribute up to five scholarships, up to $500 each, to current EJP members and alumni who are presenting at or attending a conference on work that aligns with EJP’s mission: “to create a model college-in-prison program that demonstrates the positive impacts of higher education upon incarcerated people, their families, the neighborhoods from which they come, the host institution, and society as a whole.”
Can I receive funding to cover registration for a virtual conference?
Yes! In light of impacts on travel and events during COVID-19, fees for virtual conferences for attendees and presenters can be covered by this award. You do not have to have “traveled” to the conference so long as you attend the conference online.
Do I have to be presenting at a conference to apply?
No. You can apply even if you are simply attending a conference as an audience member for in person and online conferences.
If I’m presenting, do I have to be talking about EJP to apply?
No. The work should align with EJP’s mission (printed above), but it does not have to be about EJP.
Which EJP members are eligible to apply?
All current EJP members are eligible, including alumni, instructors, coordinators, tutors, and those involved with RIPPLE or the reentry guide. We will give preference to members who have not yet received funding in a given year.
How will awards be determined?
Applications will be evaluated by a committee of external reviewers based on three factors:
1. the extent to which the work aligns with EJP’s mission (Applications will be rated according to a four-point rubric: strong demonstration of alignment with EJP’s mission, somewhat strong demonstration of alignment with EJP’s mission, weak demonstration of alignment with EJP’s mission, no demonstration of alignment with EJP’s mission)
2. whether the applicant has received a previous conference award from EJP, and how recently
3. the amount of money an applicant has already received or anticipates receiving to attend the conference. (We expect applicants to pursue other funding sources in addition to those from EJP.)
How frequently will awards be given out?
Awards will be given out twice a year. This particular batch of awards is for expenses already incurred or expenses anticipated for conferences attended between July 2 and December 31, 2021. In the spring, another award application will be circulated for conferences between January 1, 2022 and July 1, 2022.
Education Justice Project
EJP Travel Scholarship for conferences between July 2 and December 31, 2021
Application Deadline: November 15, 2021
Send completed application to Nia Hill at email@example.com and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Your Name:
2. Conference Name:
3. Conference Location:
4. Conference Dates:
5. We give preference to applicants who do not have alternative sources of funding. Please describe where you’ve applied or plan to apply for funds and if you have received any other funds to attend this conference.
6. Please list your anticipated or already incurred expenses for registration, travel, lodging, and meals. If this is an online conference, list the online registration fee and leave the rest blank.
Note: If you drive to the conference, the university will reimburse you at $0.565 per mile. To calculate your incurred or anticipated meal expenses, please use the meal per diem, which is $28/day for travel inside Illinois and $32/day for travel outside Illinois. Deduct meals that the conference provides using the chart here.)
Category Amount Additional description
7. Please provide a brief rationale (no more than 250 words) of how your attendance at this particular conference aligns with EJP’s mission (stated on the previous page).
8. Are you presenting at this conference? If yes, please complete the following information:
a. Title of presentation
b. Abstract (no more than 250 words)
c. Either attached to your email to EJP Scholarships and Awards Coordinator Nia Hill (email@example.com and cc: firstname.lastname@example.org) or pasted in this Word document, please include documentation of acceptance (e.g., a PDF or image of a letter/email of acceptance or of a conference program listing your name)